Saturday, December 3, 2011

When It Rains

picture from Google Images - Credit goes to photographer
 

It rained last night.
Not heavy, not hard - but softly; like a whisper.
Not outside my window, but in my head.
In my dreams.

He was crying, and though I don't really know him, I wrapped my arms around him, saying quietly, "It'll be alright - don't cry."
But he did. Was it him crying, or was it me? I can't be sure...
But there were tears.
One landed on my arm. It was warm, yet cold. Hurt. 
Why do people have to be hurt? Why can't I help?

I want to help.

Somehow.

It was only a dream...
but it was raining.

It ran down the window, blurring the world outside.

It was only a dream, but it was real.

I saw the picture above, and thought - I don't know that person, like in the dream. The reflection, in a pool of water. Like in a dream. 

What do I say in a dream?
How can I help?

Don't cry... it'll be alright.


*   *   *


 I wrote this section for a friend's book a while back, and, last night, it was replaying itself in my dreams as I hugged this person, trying to comfort. It was so strange... dreams.

"What can I do to help you? How afraid you seem sometimes, even behind those eyes. Are you supposed to laugh as if everything is alright? Each day passes by, and you still act as if there's nothing wrong.
       What's so great about your crooked pride? I want to run to you, but still. It's so hard, you try to act cool, as if nothing's wrong. 
       Memories of you I once tried to erase are starting to grow on me. Come back. I want to tell you truthfully. Your heart is heavy, it's falling. 
I see.
      I worry about you so much. The promises people weren't able to keep that left you scarred and ruined. I wonder if you stay awake at night and feel sorry once again for your life, for what you've done... can you every be free?" 


Trust in the Lord with all of your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding

Proverbs 3:5
 


2 comments:

Argentia Krystofel said...

I love this poem, and I love that little piece of writing. It's really beautiful, and it communicates several feelings all in one...similar to what I tried to communicate in 'Raining on Sunday', but much more defined. ;)

Gotta hand it to your dreams. Even if some of them are weird. xD

Hannah Leigh said...

Yay! Glad you liked it... *sigh* ... my head.

*shoots glare in your general direction*
*clears throat*
*loosens tight shirt collar*
...
I kill you... --.--

^o^

- hannah