Saturday, September 29, 2012

When Leaves Start to Fall


      When leaves start to fall, I find myself in a very thoughtful state of mind; curled up in my chair with a blanket and a steaming mug of coffee, journal open in front of me.
      I woke up this morning to the sound of rain, the draft of cold Autumn air seeping in through my window.
      The are the kind of days I love.
      The days where I stop to think about people that are special to me, where I smile as I go through the memories I have of them and flip through the well-worn pages of my journal to read about them.
      The days where I stop to do a lot of praying about anything that comes to mind. Where I go outside onto the porch as it rains and just talk to God about everything.
      Everything seems to slow down and breathe a little, and when it does, I have to as well.
      I have to take a small step back and look everything over and try to piece things together, wondering what happens next in this crazy, wild plot of a story.
     This kind of weather makes me want to write. To weave some fantastic scene and bring characters to life.
     I'm a writer at heart, even when I feel like I'm doing a terrible job and no inspiration comes.
     But, I'm a writer nonetheless. Of all things I thought I'd be, it was never that.
     Not long ago, someone said five simple words to me that inspired me to keep writing. Just those five words made a difference.
     "I think Cafe will publish."
     That was it. It made me so happy to hear that. Five words that pushed me to keep going.
     Kind words from a friend are the most beautiful things to hear. Even small words. Even just a smile.
     It uplifts like nothing else.
     God commands us to speak kindly to one another; to uplift and encourage.
     One small word can completely change a person's day, so find something kind to say to a family member or friend today - it'll make a big difference.

    
    Autumn is my favorite time of year - it gives me this feeling inside of being alive and knowing that exciting things are going to happen. I just have to wait for them to start unfolding.
   Pour your favorite cup of coffee today (after all, it IS National Coffee Day,) and open a book or your journal - dive in write, your thoughts down.
   Enjoy every moment of it, because every moment, you're still alive.


- hannah

P.S. This is a mini-video I put together yesterday on a whim. Nothing fancy; just trying to capture the feeling I have when writing. :) Enjoy!


No comments: