Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I Will Listen For Your Hoofbeats In Heaven, Red...



I woke up this morning to a cold and cloudy day. I was going to go check on Red, but I didn't. Nathan went...and couldn't find him. I was changing clothes when mom came running to the door and yelled that Red was out of the pasture. I ran to put on my jeans, thinking that it would be fairly easy to get him back to the gate and settled down....what I found was completely different. I grabbed my coat and ran to the pasture, looking for Nathan. Running to the steep side of the pasture, what greeted my eyes was not pleasant. Red was in a deep whole with a mass of brush. He had fallen down the hill, rolled over the electric fence, and was sitting in a dog position straddling a log. I ran through the briers to get to him, and found that his leg was stuck. It was a maze of logs and briers...there was no getting him out. Nathan ran to get mom and dad, while I stayed with my dear horse. For an hour and a half we tried to get him out while mom called the vet. Dad and I tried in vain to get him to stand...he wanted to...he didn't give up. He tried hard to stand, but he couldn't. His back legs would not work. He could not stand. We called some people to come and help us...five of us could not get him to stand. I hugged him and cried in his mane, knowing that he was down and would not get back up. It was time to say goodbye to my dear horse. It was time to tell him that I would listen for his hoofbeats in heaven. I took Nathan's knife and cut a handful of his mane, stuffing it in my pocket. At least I got to spend the last hour of my horse's life with him, hugging him and crying into his mane. I kissed him and stroked his nose. The vet was coming. I never left my horse's side. Never. I wanted to be with him when he died. And I was....I was with him. The girl came and looked him over...there was nothing she could do. The hill was steep and slippery, and he could not stand. He looked so sleepy and scared. He would groan and rest his head against my body while I talked to him and cried. It was time for my horse to go. The vet got the shot ready, and came over beside him. I kissed him and spoke to him, telling him that I would listen for his hoofbeats in heaven. She stuck the needle in a vain, and his eyes got heavy. He jerked, and then fell over, his head resting against the log. I started sobbing and got down in the mud with him, holding his head. His body jerked and his eyes were closed, and he was gasping for breath. The vet gave him another dose, and said that he was mentally out of it...his body was just shutting down. I stayed right by him until his last heart beats died. I never let go. Right before he left us, I told him that I loved him, and would always love him. I stayed with him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him, kissing his head. My horse was dead. He was gone. I'm crying now as I write this...I can hardly see the screen. It's so cold and rainy and foggy. My dear horse is dead and I can hardly believe it. I cannot believe I said goodbye. Somehow, I knew that he would not live to see his 29th birthday on November 30th. I somehow knew that he would not make it. I went to the pasture last night and took a bunch of pictures. He ate his last meal this morning while we were waiting for the vet. I kissed him for the last time. I will not be able to bury my head in the warmth of his neck and tell him I love him. I can hear the back-hoe running. He will be under the ground forever. I miss my horse so much......he was my favorite. I love my horse.

Red, I will listen for your hoofbeats in Heaven, and just for you, I and my friend are making a tribute....just for you, Red. I love you, so much. I love you read. Rest in peace. You were a wonderful horse to me, and a wonderful friend. Silkie and Belle will miss you too...now they will wish they had you to boss them around. I will miss feeding you, brushing you....I will miss all of the times you would swing the tack-room door open and closed. I will miss you soft nickers at feeding time, and your stubborn will when riding. I love you, Red........I will listen for you hoofbeat
s in Heaven. I love you, my dear horse.
I took this picture of you and I last night...the last night you w
ere with us. I love you. I love you Red...always.

17 comments:

~Miss Zara~ said...

That so sad,I never read the whole yesterday I read when he was seen by a vet.
I hope Red will be okay
Love Zara

Anonymous said...

Miss Rose,

I'm SO SORRY about Red!!! I know how hard it is to lose a pet! I remember when my first pet, a bunny, died. It was so hard. You remember the wonderful times you had. I wish you the best luck, and hope you'll have many more wonderful times with you other horses!!

Cecilia.

SavannahLynn said...

That is so sad Hannah!I know I would never get over my horse dieing! I still haven't gotten over my dog:(You are in my prayers right now and always!!
Savannah

Anonymous said...

I have a tissue in hand and tears streaming down my face. :( I am sooo sorry! The vet had to put our dog down when I was in fifth grade, I cried three days straight. I hated when people came to me and said "Its ok, he will always be in your heart." Thats not what I wanted to hear, I wanted my dog back. But now, 4 years later I have amazing stories and memories to look back on of this little dog of mine. I know you don't want the memories story right now, just like I didn't. Just remember, Red was a great part of your life, and in couple months, when you look back on this you will know what a blessing he was and always will be in your life. :)

Many blessings,
Maggie
www.behindtheteenscene.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh oh oh. I just found your blog today and I am sooo sorry. It is horrible to lose your dearest friend.

Lucie Manette said...

That's just horrible!!! I'm sooo sorry. It's just so awful when an animal friend dies.

Autumn said...

Oh how sad. I cried a little as I read it which by the way is not like me at all. I will be praying for you.I wish I could come over and be with you and help you feel alright but, sadly I'm half the world away{{{{Hugs}}}}
God bless you
Autumn.
p.s. I love your blog

Emma said...

Dear Hannah,
I am so sorry, this must be hard for you, I know what it is like as we have had to say good-bye to a very dear animal and that was hard, everyone cried!
I will pray for you.
I know I haven't commented before, but I read your blog every now and again and really enjoy it!
Blessings,
Ophelia

Unknown said...

Oh! I am sincerely most sorry for your great loss. I started crying when I read about dear Red. I cannot imagine how I will take it when my own dear dear Jeb is taken from me! I'm so sorry again, I will be praying for you to have strength in this hard time...

Btw, I hope to see you at the Father and Daughter Retreat I will be going along with another friend and our fathers.

Truly sad and am praying for you...
Susanna

Abigail Pruence said...

Oh Hannah, I am so sorry. My face is streaming with tears as I read this. I was hoping I'd get to meet him someday. I will listen for your hoofbeats in Heaven, very touching. May God give you grace going through this hard time. Don't ever lose that piece of his mane hair that you cut, keep that with you for the rest of your life.

Abigail Prudence

Argentia Krystofel said...

I'm sorry Hannah! I know how much you loved him. He was a sweetie. I hope you are feeling a little better.

Love,
Autumn

Sarah Holman said...

I am so sorry about your horse.

Father, be with Rose right now though this hard time. Comfort her and give her your grace and peace
Sarah

Rachel I Crosswhite said...

Oh Hannah dear....so sorry! I love horses SO much and it make my heart ach to hear how Red died. :( there just wasn't any way to get him out?? I'm about in tears. :|
Prayers...r u going to get another horse?
BTW..did you go to see the movie by Vision Forum called 'The Mysterious Islands' they were showing in a theatre in Durham, NC? We wanted to go but it was 3 hours away. :(
TTYL!

Calico Zak said...

Sorry.
God is closest to those with broken hearts.
Sadness flies away on the wings of time.

~Calico Zak

Tiffany said...

I am so sorry Hannah. That is just terrible. I have had several close pets die through the years. It's not fun.
The Lord will be with you.

Love in Christ,
Tiffany

Bekah said...

I'm so sorry...Like that helps. :(
My prayers will be with you...You'll be able to ride Red again up in Heaven someday...isn't that amazing? Death is a temporary chasm...someday, Jesus will help you across the only bridge to the other side, where Red will happily await you.
And when both of us meet in Heaven, you can show me Red, and we can go on a ride together. :)

Bekah

Vellvin said...

Hannah, I am so sorry. I love horses though I haven't got one.
I remember when our dog Emmy died when I was very little, I kept wondering where she was and was she coming back .I can understand how you feel.
Blessings
Eden.